Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tonal Carnage

Got my quota today. AND, I'm keeping the schedule to this blog.

I, officially, am a boss.

It feels good. And I'm gonna keep chasing this feeling and being productive because Daddy's got plans, kids. Big plans. And shit don't get done by itself.

You gotta do shit.

Anyway, inane rambling aside, I've been having some problems with the book. Because of the outline, I've been good at feeling out the characters and I'm more than versed in their various back stories (despite the lack of time we've spent together, in comparison to characters I've created before). Most of the dialogue has been fun, but I think I've always taken pride in my dialog. The problem lies in the tone.

It was the same problem I had with the movie. Solving that here will help with the movie as well.

This is a very sexual premise. With a very taboo topic, I'm learning. Being a part of an orgy, turns out, is cause for shame. Cause for raising emotional shields when confronted on the details. I thought this was simple fantasy fodder like ye old "men in uniform", "went home with a stripper" or, my personal favorite, the "menage a trois". Being part of an orgy just seemed like another soldier in that army. It very well may be...but it's the one no one wants to talk about.

There's sex in books. There's famous like, Portnoy's Complaint, On the Road, and Last Exit to Brooklyn (which I'm currently reading) or today's hardcover bestsellers: The Sookie Stackhouse (or Anita Blake) series, anything ever by Anne Rice or Bret Easton Ellis. The first real "sex scene" I remember reading was in David Morrell's The 5th Profession where the main character, an elite body guard, ends up having sex (and falling in love) with his principal-the woman he's protecting. The tension building up to it was great, over 2/3 of the book, but the actual scene was cheesy. Starting off with something like,

"He slid back the wall, her eyes were open. She smiled. His soul ached. He lifted his quilt-"

You get the picture.

This book (nor the movie) is not about sex. It is not about a type of sex. It is not about an orgy. It is not 50 Shades of Grey. That being said, it is sexual. It does feature people having sex. It does feature sexual people. It is written by me. So what's the tone?

Where's the fucking line? Pun intended.

I'm still not sure. It came up in today's pages...thought about posting an excerpt, but I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet.

But your kids are gonna love it. [Catch the reference]

I guess I'll keep plugging along. Muddling my way through. Listening to the Rolling Stones (their sexual undertones and reverence of making 'The Devils Music' oddly fits). No way to get into a real discourse about it so the best thing to do is keep going and discover it for myself. Already I'm feeling a little better.

Alright, you kids get out of here. I'm off to watch "Little Miss Sunshine". Again.

(Truth in a Hat)

(Day 2 of 73)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About The Mastermind

Writer. Scripter. Indie (fuck) Producer. Blogger. Director. East Coast Film making represent for I am the one who is known as El.